.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I me myself

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

IS OLD AGE A CURSE ?

I did my studies in psychiatric nursing, and right now I am working with old people who are suffering from a disease called DEMENTIA.
Dementia: "Deterioration of intellectual faculties, such as memory, concentration, and judgment, resulting from an organic disease or a disorder of the brain. It is sometimes accompanied by emotional disturbance and personality changes. " http://www.alzheimers.org.au/content.cfm?infopageid=379&CFID=2217592&CFTOKEN=86869583#wh
i have been raise in a culture where we have learned to respect our parents and take care of them, whole life we live together and have a strong parents-children bond, but here in western countries the life is so busy that neither parents nor children get time for each other .No wonder why I am so scared of being old , have seen many bitter facts during my study life and even now everyday I face these bitter facts.
I have a patient named Odvar Lind , he is 72 yrs old , his wife died of cancer many yrs back and left him and his son alone , due to lack of care his son went on drugs and this old man became alcoholic , and the result he started losing his memory , liver function decreased , and started having brain disorders ,epilepsy falls etc .. He ended into my ward, he is so sensitive man, he can’t speak, he lost his talking power & when he talks all we hear is blabbering.
There is a lady named Othilia , she is 98 yrs old & suffering from Alzheimer’s Dementia, she had 3 daughters n 2 sons . Poor lady , she is here from 3 yrs now ,& her children visit her 2 or 3 times in a yr, according to her personal history, she was a widow & raised her children all alone , she was a wonderful mother , but what she got in return ???
when ever I get chance I use to sit with them , talk to them , share their feelings , ask them questions , they r like some mines .... The deeper u dig the more u gets.They r just normal human beings as we r but the only difference is that they lost their memory due to various circumstances or disorders or due to genetic heritage. I literally cry sometimes when they so innocently come & ask questions like:-
When is my wife coming to visit me??
Is my son here or he will come later??
Where is my mom?
Can I go to my mom?
When can I go home?
Can u help me??
These are some common questions asked by them, & they ask these questions various times a day .......... they don’t even remember that they asked the same Q just few seconds be4. No matter they don’t remember anything happened recently but still they remember their family n all loving ones & miss them .At a point when they cant bear missing them , they start acting crazy , get aggressive ,just for attention seeking.
Are we so busy that we cant even spent 1 day in a month with our parents , they showed us this world, they thought us how to live , how to smile , eat, earn , guided us to the right path of living. I just wonder sometimes, should one be happy that he/she getting older ... going from 1 generation to another ... watching his/her arms growing n spreading OR get scared of being old like ME.
Is old age a curse or it’s a wonderful stage of life???
i never got the right answer to this question ....................
.......................... st000nie...............................

21 Comments:

  • yipieeeeeeeeeee im firsttttttttt :)

    lemme read ur post now :)

    By Blogger --pearl--, at 8/10/2005 02:42:00 PM  

  • dii..this post just shows what a beautiful person u r.I cant stay in such a place coz i always feel soo miserable n almost always break down...
    I dun wanna live tooooo many years..i dont think i would wanna b an old person,with almost nothing to do...
    I have been to old age homes and its really sad,those people just start crying thinking about thier children n families weneva anyone visits them.But wheneva i did go (usually thru school)we used to sing songs with them,talk to them,get them flowers and hug them goodbye :)

    By Blogger --pearl--, at 8/10/2005 02:49:00 PM  

  • hey strawy...hugzz to u for being so nice to them... u know thats what is so good about indian culture (wats left of it if i may say so)... we care for our parents... but as days pass by things are changing... specially in the metros... no time... common statement... oh gimme a break!!!... u have time to goto discs n pubs... time to watch movies n eat out... but when its time to go meet ur parents u say u don't have time... urghhhhh

    By Blogger messys musings, at 8/10/2005 03:03:00 PM  

  • Pearlu : even i dont want to live so many years , its sad re watching them , hope v will be nice parents n get good kidds too ...hehehhe
    m000nie : u r so right re ,v get time for everything y not parents ?? that scares me hell alot ... n i can never get over my this phobia!!! :( :( :( :(

    By Blogger strawy, at 8/10/2005 03:17:00 PM  

  • You r really a philanthrope !!
    *bows to Strawy*

    how i wished i cud do something for the humanity !!
    but 'i too dont have time' .. sounds miserable na !! I m so selfish !! and I mean it !!

    Now, another aspect of the story:
    See, we want to enjoy life, all pleasures of life, but we dont want to be old, we dont want to helpless, we dont want any sufferings. All we want is happiness. But we r not open to accept the pain.

    All the life we search for this, and we die old, still unhappy, looking for something, waiting for someone.

    That's the misery of life. It's curse or boon, it's a bitter fact of life.

    By Blogger Invincible, at 8/10/2005 04:51:00 PM  

  • invincible : yess excatly v dont have time ,n even i know v r going to get the same answere from our children that v dont have time for u oldies... lolzz.
    this is life n i m damn scared of this part of life....

    ....... scared st000nie .....

    By Blogger strawy, at 8/10/2005 06:04:00 PM  

  • hi strawy
    nie space..n gud work u hv chosen..so mny have left their parents, their loved ones in old age homes..forgetting all about their luv n concern they grow up with..u r certainly doing a great work..:)
    old age is a definite curse..i dnt wana live too long n if i hv to live that long then may god give me n my life partner those yrs of togetherness..amen

    By Blogger sona, at 8/10/2005 08:28:00 PM  

  • wowwwwww sona , amen... hope u n ur partner live together forever.
    thnx for the lovely comment.
    ....... st000nie .......

    By Blogger strawy, at 8/10/2005 09:01:00 PM  

  • Sad how children leave or forget abt their parents in the times they most need them. Old age is a curse when its packed with dependency and sufferings. Some oldies have a fulfilling life, unfortunate are those who have to go thru hardships all by themselves.

    By Blogger Dewdrop, at 8/10/2005 10:06:00 PM  

  • so true dewdy , i fully agree with u , yeah some oldies really get a nice time too , hope i m one of them :p
    hugzzzzzz babezzz.
    ....... st000nie .......

    By Blogger strawy, at 8/10/2005 10:15:00 PM  

  • I agree with d000die.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/11/2005 01:52:00 AM  

  • I wrote something similar a while bakk...have a read if u have time.

    http://keshigirl.blogspot.com/
    2005_05_10_keshigirl_archive.html

    Well Dementia is wut I need when I'm old...cos I know no matter wut children (if I ever have any) wont have the time to lookafter us the way we expect them to. It's the great expectations that let us down. It's human nature to expect n it's heart-breaking when u dun get it. And we cant blame the children really. Everyone gets busy with their lives as they enter into new phases. I know I will lookafter my ma as long as I can but can I confidently say I will lookafter her 100% given that I have a job, perhaps my own family n kids n other chores? Now I wud never put my ma in an aged home cos I come from an Indian background that never do that...n I luv my ma too much for that!

    But put urself in some other person's position:
    If ur parents ever face a debilating illness that needs extra care n time, wud u not do something that's healthier for them than keeping them at home for the sake of tradition n gratitude and all of u suffering as a result of that? Shoot...

    Keshi.

    By Blogger Keshi, at 8/11/2005 02:51:00 AM  

  • Keshi : u never leave any chance to impress me , so well said , muahhh babes thnx for ur nice views , hugzzzzz
    wat the hell is GIGI ; 4EYEZ ; IRENE , SUPERHESVYDUTY & RIZ ?????
    phewwwweeeeeee

    ....... confused st000nie .......

    By Blogger strawy, at 8/11/2005 09:45:00 AM  

  • I dont want to get old. I wanna die before that...coz I believe with old age, you bring lot of pain to urself and ur closed ones. I dont want to be a burden on someone else...espcially my kids.

    Lets see how long I continue living :P

    Awesome post St000000nie!!

    Take care.....hugzz

    By Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr, at 8/11/2005 01:19:00 PM  

  • uummm iam scared of being old too.. don wanna live long n dont wanna depend on anyone..
    gr88 post st000nie..

    :)

    By Blogger :), at 8/11/2005 08:37:00 PM  

  • thanxx st000nie huggz!

    well z000nie I feel the same...I feel old age is a curse n I really dun wannna live past 40! I think after 40 body deteriorates n all ailments begin hehehe. I wanna always be young which I know no one can so yeah I would like to die before grey hair, wrinkles etc lollz! On a serious note I dun think living till very old is a blessing at all...that's my personal view. And I always had this feeling Im gonna die young...dunno why but I always get that feeling.

    Keshi.

    By Blogger Keshi, at 8/12/2005 03:46:00 AM  

  • Have you lost ur mind to say something like that K000kie?

    Wish you stay alive for a longgggggggeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr time with all those gray hairs, wrikles, laptop and an Internet conn so that I need to compete with you on blogging

    Hahaha...



    Jokes apart....I dont wanna hear "...I always had this feeling Im gonna die young..." again in future

    By Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr, at 8/12/2005 04:11:00 AM  

  • Hey Strawy,

    me here 4 de first time...i was juz goin thru ur 100 facts abt u....itz really nice to read them...
    And yea, Punjabi gals really luk beautiful,i really got a few xperiences heehee...

    Neway...really nice to get a 000nie friend like u... ;-)

    By Blogger p¡£®®£, at 8/12/2005 08:59:00 AM  

  • grrrrrrr keshi u wont die be4 u r in ur 90ties , full n final , n u will be as sexy n beautiful as u r now... muahh ..love ya babes.
    Keshi u wont believe it, even i get the feeling that i m gonna die young :((.

    z000nieeeeeeee where the hell r u ??? gayeb ????

    x000nie : thnx for dropping by n thnx for the sweet comment too.

    .......st000nie .......

    By Blogger strawy, at 8/12/2005 09:42:00 AM  

  • Hi Strawy...
    Thanks for dropping by my blog...
    This is so touching post...
    Its so nice of you that you spend time with them...
    :-)>

    I go with Keshi n Arzoon... dont want to live long... just wanna live happy :-)>

    Nice Blog
    Cheers...

    By Blogger PuNeEt, at 8/12/2005 01:56:00 PM  

  • aww Puneet u shall live forever...ur too beautiful a person to die even if ur 100...I wish u a long long life.

    Same goes for z000nie...u cant die young...no wayzz...u have too much of a brilliant head to die even if u r really old...I wish u a longggggggggg life!

    Strawy u really feel like that? I'm serious abt mine....when I was like 15 I used to tell my mum that I was gonna die young..she used to hate me for saying that..I thought it would just pass...but I still feel that way...so dunno, lets wait n see....if ever U stop blogging altogether then I'm sure to have crossed over...:(

    Keshi.

    By Blogger Keshi, at 8/15/2005 06:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home